Re: Rivergate 5-speed conversion for 1275

To: Bryan Vandiver <Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: Rivergate 5-speed conversion for 1275
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:02:17 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Bryan Vandiver wrote:

> Do any of you have any tips, that aren't included in the instructions??
> Can I use my orginal Bugeye clutch line, and run a flex line from that, or do
> need to replace, and reroute the entire clutch line??

The clutch line is on the left side on the Datsun box. The kit gives you
what you need to repipe it.
I found it much easier to cut a 4" square hole under the trans to get to
the speedo cable, I broke one following the instructions. I also added a
tapped hole to secure the new clutch line to the adaptor plate, drill
and thread it before it's in the car. (I used a 10/32 screw and a
plastic cable holder to secure the pipe.)
I also learned that if you put the trans in alone then put the engine
in, you do not have to dent the heater tray upwards. Of course I leaned
this after I did it by the book. I have had my engine out 2 or 3 times
and left the 5 speed in the tunnel. It's a bit tougher but not
impossible.

--
 Frank
 Drive it or give it to somebody that will