Re: spridget axle shafts

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: spridget axle shafts
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 09:37:50 +1000
Cc: "Bryan Vandiver" <Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Maybe the longer one isn't a spridget half shaft?

While there are not L or R half shafts made, they become L or R after use.
if you use them on the wrong side, you are shortening their life (it is all
about
fatigue life and peak -to- peak load cycles).

It is easy to tell which side they have been used in - look at the splines.
One side of the spline will be shiny and slighly deforned where the spline
has been "pushed" by the diff under power. The other side gets far less
attention as it only gets engine braking loads.

You can then figure which side of the car it should go on based on the wheel
rotation direction.

Mike