RE: Pulling the crankshaft pulley

To: "Midgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Robb Cutler" <robb@nne.net>
Subject: RE: Pulling the crankshaft pulley
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 15:48:24 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Rob, I would highly recommend removing the radiator.  You are going to need
a puller to get the pully off the crankshaft and will need the clearance to
get the puller in place.  Also if you slip while trying to remove the bolt
holding the pully to the crankshaft you could ruin a good radiator (more
$$$$).  The pully is a press fit on the crankshaft, with a woodruff key to
keep the pully properly aligned on the crankshaft.  If you try to pry the
pully off you may damage the crankshaft, which would entail an engine
rebuild ( and lots more $$$$$).  When putting the pully back on you will
need a torque wrench to retighten the bolt.  The torque is pretty high, 90
or 120 lbs., can't remember exactly.  Be sure you torque the bolt properly,
or it may come out (speaking from experience).  If you are short on tools,
check your local auto parts store.  Some places loan or rent the tools
you'll need.  Do you have a Haynes manual?  If so it should go through the
procedure.  If not, I highly recommend purchasing one before starting the
job.  I've only removed the pully after the engine was out of the car as
part of a rebuild, but it shouldn't be to hard with the engine installed.
Good Luck.  If I can help don't hesitate to ask.

Ken Waringa
74 MG Midget
71 TR6