Timing vs. cooling efficiency

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing vs. cooling efficiency
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 15:28:43 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Dear List:

Over the summer, the '74 Midget experienced some problems in relation to
overheating while sitting in traffic.  Several others on the list commented
that they had minimal trouble in any sort of climate, and I was wondering if
perhaps poorly set timing could be responsible for interfereing with the
cooling efficiency.

Would improper timing lead to hot spots in different areas of the engine,
thus raising the temperature?

I recently fixed an exhaust leak, but have not yet had the car out in mild
or warm temperatures, so I don't yet know if that has made a difference.  (I
suspect that it might, as hot exhast gas would be disapated at the back of
the car, not under it).

For reference, the radiator was flushed, I have no known leaks, I dumped
some Alumaseal powder into the expansion tank, the car has an oil cooler,
and it has a 160 degree thermostat.

What other steps could I take (short of installing an electric fan) to
restore the cooling efficiency to what seems to be a clean radiator?  Do any
of these steps require a cat or a hammer?

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com