Flywheel index

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Flywheel index
From: Mike Maclean <macleans@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 07:49:05 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
     In all the assembly manuals it says to index the flywheel to the
crank by putting the number 1 and 4 pistons at top dead center and place
the flywheel on the end of the crank
so the "1/4" marking stamped into the outer edge, below the ring gear is
at the top.
     Does anyone know why this is?  I had my flywheel machined to remove
weight and the
"1/4" mark was cut off.  I don,t know the importance of this assembly
procedure and now I have a 1 in 4 chance of getting it right.  Any other
way of telling where that "1/4" mark used to be?
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
00 Ford F-150
99 Mercedes E320W