Old Books

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Old Books
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 02:48:43 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
While on the subject of old books we have a recommendation if you can find a
copy.

OMNIBUS OF SPEED
An introduction to the world of motor sport

Edited by Charles Beaumont and William F. Nolan
copywrited 1958

Published by G. P. Putnam's Sons, New York

Beaumont and Nolan selected about 46 articles from magazines and books that
they feel "present a truly comprehensive picture of the sport" and compiled
them into this almost 500 page book.  It is great reading from a range of
authors covering almost every form of automotive compitition. These range
from the early city to city races to the Indianapolis 500 to race courses to
drivers to car builders.  Of course this is all pre 1958.

"Why should every driver need a machine to shift gears for him?  I need one
about as much as I need a machine to eat strawberrys for me.  My MG has, just
under my hand, a little black lever that goes from gear to gear like a
Nuremberg egg the goblins have made for me on special order ---"

from "Go Man GO!" by Randall Jarrell
as printed in Omnibus of Speed

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)