Re: tranny 2nd gear replacement

To: cartman@dnai.com
Subject: Re: tranny 2nd gear replacement
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:43:11 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Laygear is always needed as a replacement when the first gear is going or
gone. Both of those parts are available , 22G1100 laygear, 22G1118 first
speed wheel, but are so spendy it makes a Datsun conversion really
attractive and usually cheaper.

But Paul is claiming 2nd gear is going out, either in noise, pops out of
gear or synchro is shot, he didn't say.  This sounds like a thrust washer
on the output shaft bad, (expensive) or the needle bearings starting to
fail or the thrust sides of second gear wearing. (usually cheap!)  But
again may be expensive as the output shaft is usually damaged then.  The
1st speed wheel may also have the locking cogs badly worn, all of these
might be possible or something else.  Won't know until the gearbox is
examined and then a good cry at the kitchen table!!

Paul

PAsgeirsson@juno.com