RE: shorrock vs. judson?

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: shorrock vs. judson?
From: Daniel Thompson <dthompson@gbc.ca>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 07:58:32 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I think Daniel has hit the nail on the head here as far as a debate over the
power boost Judsons can give. These superchargers were available when stock
bugeyes (or Mk2 Sprites) were running 45 hp and special tuning might get you
to 55 or 60 if you were lucky. Bolting a Judson onto a stock engine would
instantly boost you to 65 or 70 horsepower that could be used lower down in
the powerband. If you believe the manufacturer the horsepower was doubled
(but that is hogwash).

I seem to recall one automotive publication did a back-to-back test and the
Judson reduced the 0-60 time from 21 seconds to 14.5 (sorry, all this from
memory).
It is therefore not surprising that a well driven 1275 with only minor mods
would beat a 948 with Judson in a "stop-light Grand Prix".

Personally I think a Judson is a really cool LOOKING period accessory (which
is why George has it on his car) and not a cure-all for blowing off hot
rods.

Daniel58612