Re: Stumped The List

To: millerls@ado13.com
Subject: Re: Stumped The List
From: Bryan Vandiver <Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 10:45:17 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Larry,

I've looked ont this a bit myself, and a friend of mine, actually opened up a
scrap tank to try and figure out how to remove the pickup. The pickup tube is
made of steel, so there is a chance that it can rust through. If you remove the
fuel sender unit, and take a look throu the hole, with a light and small
mirror,
you'll see that the tube is located on the far side of a metal brace on the
inside of the tank, in addition, there is a metal tab on the brace that is bent
around the pickup tube to hold it in place, and a 'plastic and wire mesh'
basket
on the end of the pickup tube. To actually remove the pickup tube from the tank
without actually cutting it open, you would need to be able to bend the 'tab'
open, and remove the basket on the end of the tube, however, you may also be
able to unbraze the the fuel pipe connector on the front of the tank, and after
bending the pickup tube retaining tab open using a bent metal rod throuh the
sender hole, remove the pickup tube as a unit. The only alternative I can see
is
to acutlly cut open the top of the tank over the pickup tube, to work on it,
and
then weld/braze the removed setion back in place, and since it's on the top, no
one will notice it once the tank is reinstalled.

BTW - I do have a 'spare' tank, I can offer you, but I haven't really checked
the internal condition, so I can't gaurentee that it will solve the problem.

Regards,
Bryan Vandiver (59-bugeye)

P.s. - You can give me a call if you want to talk about this further
(408)517-5503