Re: Turbo Bugeye

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Turbo Bugeye
From: "rob thomas" <rob@thomasr.greatxscape.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 18:57:49 -0000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
----- Original Message -----
From: Glen Byrns <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sent: 14 December 1999 03:54
Subject: Turbo Bugeye

> After several requests, I thought it easiest to again post a description
of
> my turbo-bugeye.
> Though I have not yet been under the head, the DPO contributes the
following
> info.
>
> 1275cc, bored 30 over. Flat-topped pistons. Shot-peened and
counter-balanced
> rods and crank.  Turned down flywheel. Double sprung valves, "full race
cam".
> Head is ported out to max dimensions indicated in Clymer's book.  The
> intake/exhaust manifold is a welded one-piece custom creation. Very simple
> and log like.  The turbocharger is the Rayjay Model 377 B25. Rayjay
Industries,
> Long Beach CA.  The intake faces the driver's navel and has an adaptor to
fit
> a single 1.25" SU with a rich needle. The exhaust pipe is about 2" ID, and
> starts forward toward the radiator, does a 180 and drops out the standard
exit
> to a big standard looking muffler. The distributor is pure mechanical
> advance, no name visible.  Valves and points are standard book values,
> dynamic timed to ~5 deg. BTDC.  Unless the car's tach and my test kit tach
> are both lying,
> this sucker turns over 7K.  Turbo gauge was showing 10lbs and starting
into the
> yellow on the way to red when I backed off. I don't want to know what
happens
> in the red, but it can't be good, or affordable.
>
> I've yet to see a JPEG posted on the list, so I presume its a no-no.  I
have
> a pre-restoration photo of the turbo I will e-mail to those who ask unless
> someone tells me its OK to post it as an attachment to a list message.
>
> PS, thanks to the lister who posted the Crane Cams electronic ignition
sale,
> mine should arrive Wednesday.  Should go well with the above set-up eh?
>
>                                 Regards, Glen Byrns
>

> There is a cheaper option.  Buy a Turbo Metro-MG for about £50 ($90) and
swap it all over.  Guy I know fitted one and ripped the ends off the
splines, fitted race hardened ones and ripped the ends off the splines
again.  A modded Triumph Toledo (I think) axle is in the process of being
used.  I could get some turbos organised if anyone is keen on trying.

Cheap fun!

Rob Thomas (From the land where men are men and sheep are nervous)
Thats WALES for those of you who haven't heard that one before!

Mk2 Sprite
Mk3.5 Midget (a 1972 RWA shell with 1500 front frame and a 2 litre
twin-cam!!!!)