Bright Moon's a comin! was Smith's gauges and Re:

Subject: Bright Moon's a comin! was Smith's gauges and Re:
From: "R. Toby Atwater" <Toby.1969ah.1971lc@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 13:07:15 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
> On the moon thing, in 1989 there was an extremely
> close perigee, and I was living on the Long Island
> Sound at the time.  The tide was unbelievably high.
> If you are able to see the tide near you, check out
> the water looking different than you'll ever see it
> again.

Yep I do remember that. When I was 9, our house in France had 8 feet of
water in it. The island where I lived, the average altitude was 4 feet under
sea level. A few dikes and levees broke and wham no more island. It was like
a 15 mile long island disappeared! Everything is now rebuilt and I don't
think it can happen again.