Re: Wheel bearings

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wheel bearings
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 19:15:30 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi, Daniel --
1.  I've only used ball bearings in my Midget, so no comment on comparable
life with roller bearings.
2 and 3.  The spacer is used only to allow a slight pre-loading of the
"angular-contact" ball bearings.  This type of bearing has an inherent
amount of axial play, and the pre-load reduces the play.  The spacer has no
effect on the strength of the stub axle.  I don't believe there was a
"consensus" on this, but it's true anyway.
4.  If I'm replacing wheel bearings, I pack everything with high-temp
grease.
5.  I use the spacer with the ball bearings, so no comment on the torque
without it.
6.  The workshop specs usually don't steer you wrong.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain