Re: engine compatibility

To: "Andy Webster" <trunkie@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: engine compatibility
From: "rob thomas" <rob@thomasr.greatxscape.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 19:43:04 -0000
Cc: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Carrying on from Daniel1312s comments on the A+ engine, The Marina was
bettered by the Ital engine which has extra visible ribs on the side of the
block, provision for the use of post 25D type distributors and an oil filter
mounted above the distributor in a place that is easily worked on.  Some
factory exchange engines were this type and they are much more common in
scrapyards today.  The crank is easily swapped for the Midget1275 but the
flywheel is located by a slightly different flange such that you would need
to machine the centre of the Midget flywheel out.  Mini blocks lack a screw
thread for the oil pick-up although early FWD 850cc blocks had this on
occasions.  The front plate needs swapping for the Midget or Morris 1000
type with the engine mounts but otherwise the Ital/Marina is perfectly
useable.  I have converted several LBCs to run with variations of this
set-up.  Easily done in an afternoon!
Mail me for a more complete list of conversion details.
WALES    U.K.