Air Tools & Compressor Questions

To: "'vintage-race@autox.team.net'" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>, "'spridgets@Autox.Team.Net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Air Tools & Compressor Questions
From: Jackson Zimmermann <JZIMMERM@exch.co.albemarle.va.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 16:08:30 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
For Christmas I got an air compressor.  Its a very nice Campbell Hausfeld
extreme duty 5hp 120/220V 30gallon portable model (portable is what I wanted
for a variety of reasons).  I've got a few questions regarding setup of an
air system for my garage and also about air tool selection...

First, setup.  Its a belt driven, oiled, 2 cylinder unit as quiet was a
requirement.  Any suggestions regarding further noise reduction?  I did a
bit of research before choosing the type of compressor, however I never
really gave enough thought to the proper way to set it up as a stationary
system within my garage.  The compressor will be used for general auto work
with impact wrenches & ratchets being the most common tool used.  The output
is 3/8".  What would everyone suggest as an appropriate setup?  Is there any
inexpensive way to remove the humidity before it gets into the tank?  The
unit will need to be portable, so I'm looking to plumb it with flexible hose
to a copper or iron line setup with a check valve first, a water separator,
a pressure regulator, then a T (just in case I ever want to use a paint
gun), then a tool oiler.  Does this sound OK?  I've heard some people
suggest a cooler section of pipe to help the water separator.  Also the shop
list mentioned some people installing an extra tank for additional capacity,
has anyone out there done this and what inexpensive methods are there to do
it?  Any words of wisdom regarding would be appreciated...

Second, tools.  The first things I'm looking to get is a nice impact wrench,
a nice ratchet, a blow gun, air chuck, maybe a butterfly ratchet, and
possibly a die grinder for head work (Vizard is calling my name).  I'm not
made of money, however I'm willing to buy (or save up for) something really
nice and be super happy with it for the next 20 years rather than replace it
every 5 or wish I had something different.  Anyone with specific
recommendations and suggestions regarding where to get them at a reasonable
price?  Any other tools that y'all have found to be useful (I have an
electric angle grinder, wonderful tool, already for rusty bolts)?

Anyone care to suggest must have catalogues for air tools and accessories?
Any good web sites?  THANKS!

Jackson Zimmermann
jzimmerm@albemarle.org
'64 A-H Sprite