Re: Fender Repair Estimate Needed

To: Butch Lewis <butchl@eudoramail.com>
Subject: Re: Fender Repair Estimate Needed
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 13:59:41 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Butch Lewis wrote:

> Has anyone ever replaced, or had replaced the front fenders on a chrome
>bumper midget? I am going to have the left front fender and headlamp assembly
>replaced on a 1972 Midget. The insurance company of the driver who ruined the
>fender by backing into it will cover the cost. However, the auto body shop
>that I have dealt with in the past wouldn't even discuss the job since they
>have enough late model cars coming through their doors to keep them busy.
>While I search for someone I trust to do the work, I'd like to have an idea of
>what it should cost before I accept or negotiate over the $900 check that the
>insurance adjuster offered (according to the catalogs, the fender alone is
>around $500). If it's of any help, the car is solid with practically no rust
>(since one shop owner said he didn't like to work on older cars because the
>rust creates unforeseen problems.
>
> Any experiences shared would be appreciated.
>
>   Thanks,
>   Butch

Butch
Maybe someone on this list has a rust free fender for sale.
The going price on good used fenders is between $50 and $200, and it may
come with a headlamp bucket. New buckets are around $25-30. And a new
headlamp rim can be had for $10 (Taiwan made) or $25 OEM.

One Idea is to remove you damaged fender (a learning expierience) take
the good used fender to the shop, have them paint it, you install it
then pop in the headlamp bucket. All this should be less then $500.
Be advised the fenders from a CB Midget are different from those of a
pre 70 and post 74 (RB) so you need a fender from a 70-74 Midget.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ