Re: Stuck brake

To: Scott Lewis <sl@eyequip.com>, Spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stuck brake
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 19:21:47 -0800 (PST)
Do you see the tell-tale brown drip on the outside of
the wheel(s)?  Could be a leaky rear axle or wheel
cylinder spooging up the rear brakes.  It'll be real
obvious when you pull the drum, which you should do
anyway to check the condition of the shoes.  If it is
the axle leaking, make sure the vent hole on the axle
is not clogged, then it is either the "by the book"
axle seal repairor the WST Secret Shmoo speedi-sleeve
method (check the archives).  If it is the wheel
cylinder, I got mine at Peter C.'s
(nosimport@mailbag.com).

--- Scott Lewis <sl@eyequip.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am ready to attempt my first "repair" on my
> bugeye.  I think my left rear
> brake is stuck.  It seems as though the emergency
> brake release feel funny
> when I release it. Also when I step on the brakes
> the car drifts to the
> right as though the left rear is not doing anything.
> I drove it a few
> blocks, smelled a burring smell and went straight
> home.
>
> Should I just pull the wheel off and see what I can
> see or is there
> something simple and obvious (I hope) I need to look
> at first.  Something
> like the emergency brake release is stuck or
> something.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Scott Lewis

=====