Re: LBC Starting problems

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: LBC Starting problems
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 17:00:44 -0500
Which is why I think that a space heater (ceramic cube) that heats
the block, oil, and carbs may work the best for our LBCs. They are
also cheap. I've been using the same one for airplanes and cars since
1993 - one of the few things I ever bought from Home Desperate that
worked for more than a single season. I just put it on a timer so
that it came on two hours before lift-off. However, I guess this
would not work too well if it got rained or snowed on. Works great in
a carport or open hangar, though.

Jeff

At 4:13 PM -0500 1/19/00, Charles D. Sorkin wrote:
>Dear List:
>
>What is the defintive reason for difficult cold starting of an LBC?  On the
>one hand, several folks have been saying that the thickness of the oil at
>low temperatures is to blame, as it prevents the starter motor from turning
>the crankshaft at a rapid rate.  Some address this by placing a heat source
>near the pan.
>
>On the other hand, more plausible to me is the explanation that the ability
>of cold air to keep the fuel vaporized is severly diminshed.  Someone
>indicated that the petrol would tend to condense on the inside of the intake
>manifold, before getting near the cylinder.  Thus a solution (possibly)
>would be to heat the intake manifold, or (more likely, and more expensive)
>fit a weber carb setup, which I am told squirts extra fuel vigorously
>through the manifold when the accelerator is pumped.
>
>Since you (Frank) have a weber available, that would be my first try.
>Didn't your daughter like the weber best anyway?
>
>Regards,
>

>Charles
>'74 Midget
>'68 Sprite
>cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com
>Bloomfield, NJ

Jeff Boatright  '65 Sprite MkIII   __o_\__
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/