no lbc stuff? bored again!

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: no lbc stuff? bored again!
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 05:17:55 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
any pennsylvanians out there who would like the list of over 50"you know you
are in pennsylvania when" jokes sent please reply off list and i will
forward it to you.  i can not believe how many are true naw onct!
it made me nutst naw!(sorry but if you are not pennsylvania dutch this stuff
i write from time to time makes absolutly no sense at all).    pennsylvania
dutch is not dutch at all!  it is badly butchered german integrated with
english wich has evolved as a hybrid language predominently used by the
early german settlers in eastern to central pennsylvania.  it has migrated
to other aereas and is refered to as in some aereas as amish.  my family has
deep roots in the pennsylvania dutch aerea and language.  a generation ago
it was considered embarassing to be overheard speaking pa. dutch by many.
so it is considered a dying language and is being taught at the local
colleges in some aereas.  you were considered a "dumb dutchman" if you were
overheard speaking pa. dutch by outsiders.  i understand some and know a
bunch of useless words.  but the accent is charming and is still heard at
the local farmer's markets.  by some it still is spoken fluently and is
frequently used to have conversations publically so others wil not
understand what you are saying or as a familiar (almost fraternal greeting)
greeting.  there are places that if you do not speak or aknowledge pa. dutch
you are considered an outsider by locals.  then you are considered a
tourist!

any way in my boredom at 5:04am(est.) .  i thought i would share some local
charm from my home to the list.  at times we all experience goofy things in
life !  but never-never try to out guess a amish horse and buggy when
encountered on the highway!  yer gonna lose eevry time! although you
probably will never see a better taken care of animal in your life!  unless
it is someone's furry child that lives in their home!   possibly like a mole
hunting shar-pei i have heard rumors about?  he-he!

chuck
cut it awt! yer maki'n me nutst! naw!
see! makes no sense does it?
you ought to see it actually written in pennsylvania dutch, germans cannot
even understand all of it!  lol!
but, in ww2 it got my (then) M.P. father a position as a guard at a P.O.W.
camp for german sldiers in southern france towards the end of the european
conflict.  btw. he will not discuss the war ..period!