Interesting idea..mid-engine Sprite

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Interesting idea..mid-engine Sprite
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 17:03:14 -0800 (PST)
Gang,
I just got back on-line from a wonderful weekend
flagging Vintage racers (like Rick Snover) at
Buttonwillow Raceway Park in California. I highly
recommend this aspect of racing for those hardy enough
to stand up for at least 6-7 hours a day, and maybe
not financially well off enough to go racing yourself.
Nothing short of actually driving a race car will get
you closer, and the drivers absolutely love what you
do for them in the manner of being their early warning
system for shunts off course that are out of their
line of sight.
I saw some excellent racing, even had a formula car
spin out going into my turn and end up 8 feet away
from me (as I was bailing for cover)in a cloud of
dust.
I had this goofy idea pop into my head last night
while dreaming of those formula cars...
Can an A series engine be rigged with say...a VW
transaxle and mounted mid-ships like a formula V car?
Could a mini type engine/transaxle be mounted right
behind my back and set up to only power the wheels and
not provide steering input? Would I be inventing an
entire new class? The Sprites I saw this weekend were
quite competitive in their class....just wondering how
one would fare with a slightly different
configuration.
Thanks for listening....
Tom Zylla

Do You Yahoo!?