Driving & Hot Catalyst Progress

To: "Spridget Mail List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Driving & Hot Catalyst Progress
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 19:24:29 -0800
Well, it has been very wet here in Northern California the past few days.
Real wet.  About a month ago my sister-in-law got rear-ended in her brand-X
car, so I loaned her my brand-X truck.  That left me with the two Midgets to
drive to work.  My baby rarely if ever leaves the garage unless it is
top-down weather.  It has been over 8 years since I have counted on a Midget
to be my daily driver.  The going has been great.  Wipers work, defrost and
heater work, lights work.  I am quite nervous about "the other guy".  But
(knock on wood) so far, so good.  It has been fun driving to work every day.

Progress has been made on the 78 as well.  As you may recall it was
suffering from Red Hot Catalyst Syndrome (RHCS for short).  I contacted the
PO, who told me that the cat had less than 300 total miles on it since new,
so I didn't want to gut it.  I found a used empty one, and installed it last
week.  Disconnected and plugged the EGR valve, and plugged the main vacuum
line to the charcoal canisters.  WOW it runs 100% better.  Still a little
more to do, but at least now I am not worried about spontaneous combustion
at any second.
David Riker
74 Midget
78 Midget