Re: New Kid

To: Michael Grint <mgrint@Sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: New Kid
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 21:25:47 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Mikey

After you have verified that the resistance of the tank sending is correct
at full and empty (fill tank, check, empty tank, check) then you can try
what I did.

(skip this paragraph if you consider a  bowling ball a 'device')
If you open the gas gauge carefully you will find two little coils of wire
attached to the back of the gauge case by nuts screwed onto the posts of the
coils passing through slotted holes in the case back.  Now having satisfied
your curiousity, put it back together and don't ever screw around with the
guts of a gauge you don't understand ever again.

Now, to adjust it in the car, fill the tank and loosen the nut on the coil
on the right as you look at the front of the gauge. Loosen it only enough to
allow it to slide with pressure.  I used a small nut driver. Very gently,
with the tiniest movements, move the coil each way in the slot and observe
the effect on the gauge.  Set it to where the gauge just reads full.

Now the fun part.  Go out and drive like a teenager whose folks gave you a
gas card.  When the tank is near empty, go home.  Push it if you
mis-calculated.  Hell, it only weighs 1300 lbs.  Drain the remaining gas
into a can or two.  Now repeat the adjustment technique on the other coil.
This is the nut closest to the drivers door.  Loosening it only enough to
get it to slide, gently move it from one limit of the slot in the gauge back
to the other observing the effect.  Set it to touch the 'E' limit post.
Tighten the nut.  The adjustments required are so small that often the act
of tightening the nut will screw up the setting.  Try again, and again, and

                                Best of Luck,
                                Glen 'Ain't walkin no mo' Byrns