Re: Crank Counterweights

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Crank Counterweights
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 00:22:33 EST
In a message dated 2/24/00 8:54:52 AM, Bryan.Vandiver@eng.sun.com writes:

<< that did a 'dynamic'
balance of the crank flywheel, and front pulley. They had a 'special' machine
that the crank rested in, with a digital read out, that could detect very
subtle
differences in balance. I notice that they removed material from, most of the
counter weights. I also had all the piston assemblies also weighed and
balanced.
I think there is a section on lightening the crank in Vizard's book also. >>

Thanks for  all of the responses.  Vizards book came with the Mk III but have
only glanced through it and did not notice the crank.  We have balanced our
engines for years.  Not only the LBC's but our bigger cars also.  In the past
we have had the pistons and rods matched for mass and balanced for center of
mass.  It just makes them run so much smoother and I think longer also.  For
a street machine have never felt there was enough gain to doing the valve
train however.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV indiguise)
1966(7) Sprite Mk III (in progress)