Re: Fuel pump beating a merry tune

To: "Spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel pump beating a merry tune
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 23:50:57 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Philip says:

>Thanks to the list, I was able to get Arioch, Lord of Chaos, back on the
>road. Drove for about a week or so with the high idle until one day I
>started to have fuel pump problems.  It would drum away very rapidly and
>not pump up to pressure.  I would turn off the ignition and then back on
>and then it would behave normally.  That went on for a couple of days,
>but then the inevitable happened - the fuel pump
><underline>never</underline> calms down.  It sounds like it's going
>90mph.  Needless to say, I parked it.
>
>BTW, the high idle (with no help from me) dropped severely to too little
>idle shortly before (or during?) the fuel pump symptoms.  Related?

I was having symptoms like this when a fuel hose burst/came loose just ahead
of the fuel filter.  Do you smell any gasoline when this happens?  What you
are describing is exactly what occurs when you have a burst in the fuel
line.  Perhaps something was rubbing against it causing it to gradually
fail, thus it started out as an intermittent problem.

Don't do what I did.  I mistakenly parked the Midget with a hot engine over
a small pile of dry leaves while the gas was spilling everywhere.  Luckily,
the car and I are fireproof.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget