Re: Back on the road again

To: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>, "Spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Back on the road again
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 09:02:03 -0500
Charles,
I had a similar problem with a points ignition. Turns out the bushes in
the dizzy were worn out. I had 2 choices. A new dizzy or a Pertronix. I
went for the Pertronix, with the full understanding that this was mearly
a delaying tactic. A little over a year and about 9000 miles later I am
experiencing the same problem. rough idle. Good power, but still a rough
idle. Bet ya if I stick a new dizzy in it will be fine. But it will be
either points or Pertronix, not the stock electronic POS.

Larry

>g)  The idle is more rough compared to the old electronic system.  In the
>backfiring that ensued after the electronic unit failed, a few folks have
>suggeted that the poppet valves in the carbs have been damaged.  I acquired
>some second-hand carbs with no poppets in the throttle plates, and I may try
>to substitute these on the original carbs.
>
>Regards,
>
>Charles
>'74 Midget
>'68 Sprite