Re: bushings changing out

To: "Martin Cooper" <cooper6@swbell.net>
Subject: Re: bushings changing out
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 18:22:20 -0500
Cc: "Spridgets" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
I know the secret!! When I did mine, I took the arms to my buddy's machine
shop. I put one in a 25 ton press and promptly bent the trailing arm. The
secret is: gently heat the arm at the bushing. When you see some bubbling
that looks like rubber melting, tap it out!! That's right, TAP it out. It
will come out so easily you won't believe it.

My buddy theorizes that the outside of the bushing is coated with a
substance that is a liquid that turns into a solid when there is no exposure
to air. I can't remember the name of the stuff but it is used in places like
that to keep rust from forming.

Since you probably won't find this substance to use in the reassembly, coat
the steel collar with axle grease before you tap the new bushing in. Remove
any slopped grease from the rubber after assembly.

Kent
1960 Bugeye
1976 Midget
Future old fart in an old car!!