Re: 1500 oil pressure

To: DLancer7676@cs.com
Subject: Re: 1500 oil pressure
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 10:36:36 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi David,

The oil pressure guage in this car is the stock dual guage. They were still
installing these in 1975. If I'm not mistaken, the to the single temp guage
changeover took place in 1978. As you might have guessed by now, I'm
totally new to this series engine, but my guess is that the block casting
is the same and that you could change over to the dual guage from an older
car. It would install where the temperture only guage is now. The other
problem is that the older guages have a different bezel, but you should be
able to swap these easily. The takeoff point for the oil line is a small
fitting below the distributor down near the oil pan. There is a flexible
line that runs to a tee (mounted on the inner fender) where a pressure
failure switch is located. From there, the oil line runs up to the guage.
If this setup is the same on your car, it's simply a matter of adding the
line to the guage. If you go aftermarket, the best place to mount a gauge
is probably off the side of the console. I'm sure someone else will have
some suggestions too.

Gerard

>In a message dated 3/3/2000 8:07:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com writes:
>
><< The one question I have now is, what sort
> of oil pressure is typical for the 1500 engine, both cold and hot? >>
>
>GerardL
>
>Have you installed an oil pressure guage in your 1500?   Mine just has the
>amber idiot light that says "Unlit" = OK, "Lit" = Trouble.  If you have
>installed a guage, can you give me some details as to what type, where you
>mounted it, etc.?  I know guages can be had from auto supply, and Whitney and
>other vendors, and installed but I would like input from someoine who has
>installed an after market guage as to the type and method.  Thanks!!
>
>--David C

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com