Re: Master Cylinder sleeving (dual bore)

To: RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Master Cylinder sleeving (dual bore)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 15:05:41 EST
In a message dated 3/16/00 1:41:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca writes:

<< There's another question that I've been meaning to ask.  What's a bench
 bleed? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

OK. Funny story after I fill you in.

When you get the MC back from the resleeve shop, it will be empty.  (You
hope.)  Wrap it in a rag and put it firmly in a vise without squashing it.
Fill the reservoir with Castrol LMA brake fluid ONLY!  (And don't listen to
Dr. Jim N.)  Push in the pushrod a few times to get the fluid squirting out
the brake line holes.  This gets the MC pumping before you put it in the car,
and saves time when bleeding.

When I bench bled my MC, in my very small garage, I had the thing mounted in
the vise.  Filled it and pushed in the pushrod.  Well, brake fluid shot out
the holes all over the door of my Midget!  And brake fluid removes paint very
well.  ARGGGH!  Wiped it off and all was well.  But I didn't expect it to
squirt that far.

Make sure it is pointed in a clear direction and put some rags around.  You
could try holding a jar or something over the holes, but I didn't have enough
hands available.

Good luck!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward