Re: was mats now undercoating

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: was mats now undercoating
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 09:57:40 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Thanks, Frank. I was wondering about this. I'm pretty sure my PPO
(previous previous owner) used exactly the system you describe except
he put the rubber mats on top of the tar, under the jute. According
to the PO, the PPO let it sit outdoors once for two months with no
cover and top down in the summer in the Carolinas. OOPS! I found some
rust and most of the tar had sort of crystallized, but overall, not
too bad considering this is an at least 13 year old interior.

What do you think of the various foam carpet padding out there? They
too are man-made. It seems to me that they would be better for sound
deadening and heat absorption.

BTW, a web site I found about this is at
<http://www.bulley-hewlett.com/VWindex/> . This protocol is a little
overkill for spridgets maybe, but it is an interesting read.

Jeff

---
On 3/19/00, Frank Clarici wrote:
>Brad Fornal wrote:
> >
> > I made a mistake and used the 3M rubberized undercoating in the
>trunk of the '68.
> > Don't use it there, EVER!!! Now everything gets black gooey crap
>stuck to it if
> > it sits in one place too long. Its been two years and the stuff
>still sticks. I
> > am not looking forward to the day I need my spare............   Brad
>

>I recommend roof tar (AKA flashing cement) for the inside floor
>waterproofing.
>It works and lasts for decades.
>For sound deadner, look into jute carpet padding, if glues in where ever
>you want it, is made of man made fibers so will not rot or smell moldy
>when it gets wet, and it covers the tar real good.
>In the trunk use a paintable undercoating and paint over it to keep the
>black goo from rubbing off on everything. I also drill 4 holes in the
>lower lip of the trunks to let the water out. Even with new trunk lid
>weatherstripping, they leak (cheapo repros strike again) Drill a few
>holes in the bottom of the doors too and undercoat in there.
>Spray rubber undercoating is OK for the underside of the car.
>
>The above does not apply to concourse or dead original cars but if it's
>a daily driver or sits out in the weather, go for it.
>
>--
>Frank Clarici
>Toms River, NJ
>Down to only 3 Sprites, 1 Midget and an A40 Farina
>http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
http://www.molvis.org/molvis