Fuses

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuses
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 17:22:03 EST
I had a very short (sic!) amount of time to work on replacing my fuse box on
Sunday.  Got it all in, but still have to drill new holes for the mounting
screws when I ran outta time.  I am installing a new Littelfuse ATO fuse box.
 It takes 5 spade fuses, so I will have one extra circuit.

A few weeks ago my wipers, tach, and fuel gauge stopped working.  I figured
it was something I touched in the radio console, because that was the last
place I worked.  I couldn't find any problems behind the radio, so I started
replacing the fuse box.  As a test, (since all the fuses are definitely
good), I twisted the fuse for the non-functioning items.  They worked.  Rust
on the fuse terminals!  (Now I feel stupid!)  The simple things should ALWAYS
be checked first.

Now for my question.  The bottom two fuses on the '77 Midget are for the
lights, left side and right side.  All of the light wires are red.  One of
the fuse terminals has a brown w/ white tracer wire coming off of it.  This
looks like an original wire because it goes into the original wire harness
(blue tape, lot of dirt) and then the harness goes thru the firewall.  I
wasn't able to find where it comes out of the harness after about 15 minutes
upside-down under the dash.  It is not on my wiring diagram for that fuse.

I can't find a brown/white wire any where in the Bentley manual wiring
diagram (indicated on the diagram as NW).  Does anybody know what the
brown/white wire is for?  After I finish the new fuse box, I will disconnect
it and see what stops, but curiosity is tough to put up with for another week.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport