Re: 5 Speed Prices

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 5 Speed Prices
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 18:31:29 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
From Jeff Boatright <jboatri at emory.edu>
To: <Kroyell@aol.com>
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>; <pasgeirsson@juno.com>;
<Rivergate@compuserve.com>
Sent: 28 March 2000 14:54

> York,
>
> I just purchased a 5 speed conversion kit for my Sprite. There are
> two kits that I'm aware of being sold in the States.

Re the U.K. situation for anyone thinking of doing this conversion.

I still have not been able to locate a 5-speed Datsun box after 2 months.
It appears there is a busy trade in Datsun engines to Guyana, Nigeria and
the Ivory Coast from the U.K.  4-speeders are easy though.  Frontline use
the Sierra box that can be acquired with a range of ratios and mod kits for
the 'go-faster' brigade.  You WILL need to cut out the crossmember from
under/inside the transmission tunnel, as you do with the rarer Toyota Celica
set-up.  Both boxes are designed for cars capable of much more power than a
Spridget can give.  I drove one with the Celica kit.  Nice but MUCH more
expensive than the Datsun.  I plan to order 2 kits for the Datsun
conversion, but only AFTER I can find 2 donor boxes.
I must agree with Jeff, both U.S. kit manufacturers have been most helpful.