Re: Lurkers / would-be-buyers

To: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Lurkers / would-be-buyers
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 09:51:12 -0700
Cc: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
As far as the vacuum unit for the Spridget dizzy, M & G Vintage Auto Co. has new
and rebuilt vacuum units for British cars.  I called on an ad in Hemmings Motor
news about rebuilding the vacuum unit from my Bugeye and the guy there said what
about a new one?
For about the same price ($60) I bought a brand new unit.  When it arrived it
was not the correct one.  It had the large nut on the side.  My original one had
no nut where the vacuum line was threaded to it.  I called them and they said
send it back.  Couple weeks later, the correct unit arrived.  I seem to remember
giving them some numbers off the original unit the second time.
     There is also an article in a back issue of Austin Healey Club USA magazine
about rebuilding the unit yourself.  It won't look original because you have to
drill holes all the way around the circumference and install nuts and bolts to
re-seal it.  But hey, you probably save a bundle instead of buying a new one.
You can point to it with pride and say "I rebuilt it!"
     I will look up the article and fax it to interested parties if anyone
thinks they would like to try this.
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite