Re: Compression check - Proper way

To: "Vrba, Dave" <Dave.Vrba@am.sony.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Compression check - Proper way
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 11:45:33 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
to properly get what the cyl. will do.....
1) wedge carb throats wide open so you're allowing the
the pistons to draw air without restriction.
2)disconnect fuel supply - for safety sake.
3) all spark plugs removed.
4) disconnect coil + wire for safety
5) check compression of each cyl.
5a) inject roughly 10cc of oil in cyl and re-test.
      ( the oil will tell you if rings are bad..oil semi-seals pistons
       if you get a higher reading (higher by 20+) you may want to
       investigate piston ring condition. )

NOTE:   my .02 worth   - The actual compression (PSI) you read will
vary dramatically from engine to engine.
What you are looking for is consistency between cyls.
More than 10-15psi diff between cyls. should be investigated further.)

ymmv

Paul Tegler  wizardz@toad.net        http://www.teglerizer.com
OBie - '73 BGT - daily driver
http://www.teglerizer.com/mgstuff/ob_description.htm
Punkin' - '78 Spitfire - corner ripping screamer
http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/spit78.htm
Lil' Greenee - '73 RWA Midget - lady killer
http://www.teglerizer.com/midgetstuff/index.html