Re: Compression check - Proper way

To: "Vrba, Dave" <Dave.Vrba@am.sony.com>, "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Compression check - Proper way
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 11:56:23 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Dave:  First get the battery  up to full charge.   Pull all the plugs, do
each cylinder and record readings.  (Turn engine several revolutions for
each cylinder under test.)  Then squirt oil in,  if the readings are a lot
different between cylinders.   Redo test.  Record readings.  The first test
gives you an idea of the condition of valves.  The second tells you about
the rings.  The readings should be bout the same between first and second
test.  Individual cylinders, in a perfect world, should be within 20% of
each other.  Compression can be down on all cylinders and the engine will
still hum along fine.....if the are different you will have a rough engine
and will never get the carbs in tune.  Larry