Generator advice

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Generator advice
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 09:05:00 -0700
The generator on our Bugeye isn't quite doing it's thing.  When disconnected
from the regulator and with the terminals shorted together, I read 10 volts
at idle.  The books say this should be 15 and then proceed to tell you what
to do if it's zero or only a few volts -- nothing about a little low (10 V)
though!  Obviously 10 volts isn't going to charge anything.

So, any advice on what to check next?  It's a tach-drive generator so it's
not going to be cheap to get a rebuilt one (although there is a good
alternator/generator shop near home).  Could it be something as simple as
brushes or is a rebuild a better idea at this point?

Thanks,

Rich Hill
'60 AH Sprite
'79 MG Midget