Re: Webers

To: valntine@ptd.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Webers
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 17:08:27 EDT
Kevin,

The DGV carb has 2 barrels but one opens before the other (the US phrase for
this arrangement is staged - UK Phrase is progressive) - ie one opens up to
3/4 (approx) throttle and then the 2nd barrel starts to open at such a speed
that by the time the first throttle is wide open so is the second.  This
arrangement is good for gas mileage and bottom end torque.  The barrels of
the DGV are vertical.  There are few calibrateable components on the DGV than
the DCOE but in my opinion it is actually more difficult to calibrate
correctly (not that I've tried).

The DCOE comes in a variety of sizes but only the 40 and 45 sizes need be
considered.  It has 2 barrels that open together (synchronised).  The barrels
are horizontal.

The DCOE is more expensive than the DGV.

Bottom end and mid range torque can be a problem with the DCOE but less so on
an engine with the 266 cam. For this spec you might want to go with the 40
rather than the 45 as it will be more wife friendly.

A big single SU carb ought to work well but when Frank says it is not a patch
on the DCOE I believe him.

Look at the range of full radius TWM rams (even for the DGV & SUs) and use
K&N filters.

It is worth spending money on head work because it doesn't detrimentally
effect bottom and mid range torque in fact you get across the rev range
improvements.

I would personally go with the MD276 cam - your wife will cope with it and
you won't regret it - especially with head work.

The CR seems a tad low and you need to think about bottom end work and
balancing - ie fit a centre main strap now and save the bother later.

Daniel1312

In a message dated 07/04/00 19:26:02 GMT Daylight Time, valntine@ptd.net