Re: front wheel bearing slop

To: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: front wheel bearing slop
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 14:07:32 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
before my change to tapered roller bearings that was my complaint too!  took
my inner and outer complete bearings to local bearing shop(so they could
measure the i.d. and o.d. and thickness) and purchased a complete set for
both sides.  disposed of the little spacer and have lived hapily ever after.
now if your stub axle has been worn down from the inner race spinning on it
bummer there are ways of repairing worn surfaces but i would not recomend
that process on an axle.  it would reduce the strength of the surface and
could lead to axle failure!  just for the education of it all try measuring
the diameter of both axles and compare to see if it is the axle or the
replacement bearing wich is causing the poor fit first.  before you
determine that you need a new axle/spindle.  just a thought?

chuck.