Re: fan pulley shims?

To: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: fan pulley shims?
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 02:16:20 -0400
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
There is/was a circular spacer on the generator shaft to keep the pully in
the right alignment.  Check to see if it's in place.  If it isn't there,
chances are the gen fan is touching or just about touching the gen case.
When you tighten up the shaft bolt, it draws the pulley in tight against
this spacer.

Paul A

>FROM:  "Charles Christ", INTERNET:cfchrist@earthlink.net
TO:     spridgets, INTERNET:spridgets@autox.team.net
        "Jeffrey H. Boatright", INTERNET:jboatri@emory.edu
DATE:   4/13/00 12:18 AM

Re:     Re: fan pulley shims?

>hmmm, let me see here.  posibility that the piece which the pulley bolts
has been pressed on too far  down the impeller shaft?  try using a puller
and draw it out equal to the amount which you have as a misalignment and
bolt evrything back together.   chances are that a slight misalignment will
not throw a belt, but you can fix this by drawing the piece for the
mounting
of the pulley out to the correct spot.   shiming is not a good idea unless
you can make a shim that is the exact aerea of the mount surface.  if a
poorly constructed shim is generated you can have a pulley shatter at the
bolt circle(or just outside it) due to fatigue from improper suport of the
pulley(do not, i repete do not ask me why i know this, but it cost me a
radiator core!).  and this goes for the early cast pulley and the later
stamped steel one as well!

chuck.
been there , broke that! 26 years of autocrossing/street racing and
hillclimbing(scca solo1) has afforded me a lot of time to make mistakes and
even more time to fix my mistakes.(with the same car!)