Re: Re Texas and Wales. Brake bits

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re Texas and Wales. Brake bits
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:46:59 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
> rob@thomasr.greatxscape.net writes:
>
> <<
>  The Ital 9(?) inch discs fit onto Marina hubs.  Marina hubs can be fitted
>  Minor stubs by the use of an Owen Burton adapter and a set of new tapered
>  bearings.  Minor stubs fit into A35/Frogeye hubs.  Mr Burton sells new
>  Marina hubs with the correct PCD for Minor wheels, which means the same
as
>  Frogeyes too.  The Girling callipers have a larger pad surface area.  KB
is
>  cleaning up a set for me now but is also looking at  using the 4-pot
>  callipers from the Metro.  Since the Marina/Ital is based on the MGB
>  mechanicals, it is safe to assume that the brakes are easily capable of
>  exceeding the stopping power of the later Midgets.

Update on this idea.  It will work but the problem areas are that the hose
MIGHT foul the top of the spring turret under certain conditions with a
normal hose.  The large 9.25 inch discs push the calipers very close to the
wheel rim and WILL foul on the rivets on the early pre-rostyle wheels.  Some
later Rostyles MIGHT foul as the production of these came from several
different sources over the years of production and a selection of rims might
be needed before a good set-up is achieved.  The Ford set-up works on
Spridgets with the solid grooved disc but not with the vented.  KAD will
make a batch of Spridget alloy 4-pots for £350+ 17.5% Tax per pair.