Re: My first time... (longish)

To: RBHouston@aol.com, mbelect@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: My first time... (longish)
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 16:25:14 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
My .02 -
The mechanic should obviously try his best to make it
right, but you really do surrender a lot of leverage
when you bring your own parts in.  As my good
friend/mechanic Owen Tamburr says, "If you bring your
own steak to a restaurant, don't blame them if it's
tough after they cook it."

--- RBHouston@aol.com wrote:

> Richard,
>
> I agree to a point.  The mechanic was indeed
> tackling a pig in a poke with
> the used carbs BUT...he should still have completely
> checked his work with a
> test drive...made an accessment and then told Toby
> that the was:
>
> a. No way he would ever be able to tune them
> correctly
>
> b. The carbs needed additional work and that would
> cost about $XXX.
>
> c. That he was almost finished, and with just a few
> more adjustments would
> have them working properly.
>
> As a professional mechanic I think the owed Toby the
> benefit of his knowledge
> and best guess as to why the car was not running
> properly.   By not doing so,
> many of us just surmised the did his job incompletly
> or poorly.
>
> Mechanics live and die by their reputation, and if
> it were me, I'd do
> everything possible to make every customer
> happy...especially if it entailed
> me fixing more things on their car and making more
> $$$$.
>
> Mi dos pesos...
>
> Robert

> Daylight Time,
> mbelect@mindspring.com writes:
>
> << Since the mechanic installed used SU Carbies that
> the owner supplied (from
>  ebay) and were never seen to run correctly on his
> engine, no-one really
>  knows if the problem lies with the carbs or the
> installation... it sounds to
>  me like the mechanic took great pains to tune the
> SU's as well as possible.
>  If he made a mistake I think he should make it
> right, but if there's
>  something wrong with the carbs, jetting, etc. then
> he's not responsible.
>
>  Just my 2 cents,
>  Richard >>

=====
Ron Soave
"By trying we can easily learn to endure adversity. Another man's, I mean." -
Mark Twain

Find the REAL Larry at:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=64205&a=465433&p=17927032

http://invites.yahoo.com