Still not starting...

To: "Spridgets (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Still not starting...
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:00:49 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
I spent some quality time in the garage...had one mechanic (does it for a
living) with me and one on the phone for help.  We took the timing cover off
and readjusted the timing chain, which appeared to be a couple notches off.
Put it all back together, and the d*mn thing still won't start.  So...it's
got fuel, fire, and compression.  It is no longer backfiring...no flames
shooting out the carb, with gases now going out the tail pipe.  In theory,
the distributor is right where it's supposed to be (not 180 off, but who
knows?).  It turns over just fine and likes to sputter enough to disengage
the starter, but won't actually ever start.  Is the timing still totally
off?  Is there anything else that could possibly keep the car from starting?
Everything I can think of should just make it run bad, but shouldn't prevent
it from starting.  I've been trying to find some info in the archives on
setting timing properly (my crank sprocket has no timing notches/marks on
it), but can't find much.  Can an engine be assembled so totally screwy that
it just won't start?  Thanks!

adrian,
'75 Midget that won't start
'75 Midget waiting on some TLC, but I'm too annoyed with the other one

J. Adrian Barnes, MCSD
Business Information Group, LLC
865.777.1382 x23
Fax 865.777.1383