Brake Master Cylinders (was Re: Bugeye Brake Problem)

To: "spridget list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Master Cylinders (was Re: Bugeye Brake Problem)
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 11:31:54 -0300charset="iso-8859-1"
Listers

As a Lurker, I've been following this with interest as I was recently
combing my saved messages on this topic (I need to sort through my parts and
get one functional M/C).  I thought that some of you might be interested in
what I compiled.  (Please bear with me - I've got questions at the end).

>From Frank:
Bugeye & early 4-wheel drum models  7/8" bore M/C
Sprite MkII & MkIII disc brakes  ('63-66)   3/4" bore M/C
'67   3/4" bore M/C but with a separate clutch master
'68   dual

>From Larry:
3/4" bore   3 5/8" pushrod  (2 1/2" smooth portion, not wrench fitting &
threads)
7/8" bore   4 1/8" pushrod  (3" as above)
Springs & Valves are different

>From Chuck
Adjusting pushrod:  Obtain a tiny bit of free play in pedal to allow M/C
bore piston to return to rest & release pressure.

I welcome any comments on the above.

I have the following questions:

1.  Larry or others:   What's the difference in the springs and valves?

2.  Is it likely that my local machine shop can sleeve the M/C so I can
avoid shipping it to the USA?  (I'm in Canada and haven't located any
sources here - Daniel, Doug, or others, do you know of any?).  Brass seems
to be the preferred choice.  Is stainless steel any better?  How is the body
of the M/C prepared? (bead blasted?)

Thanks for your input.

Geoff Muttart
Nova Scotia, Canada