62 Sprite

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: 62 Sprite
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 07:53:04 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello list,

After a long winter in lurk mode, I'd like to reintroduce myself to you all,
and share my latest acquisition. I have a 71 Midget that really needs some
bodywork to put it into acceptable shape. I had been mulling this over all
winter, when recently I found a 62 Sprite for sale on the PDLJMPR classified
ads. It was only 50 miles from me, and turned out to be as advertised,
basically rust free. I bought it, along with many,many extra parts,
including 2 1275s, a 948, a smoothcase, a ribcase, 4 front fenders, 4 doors,
2 windshields, a tach drive generator, 5 original steel wheels w/ hubcaps,
and several boxes of assorted goodies.

While I don't yet know the history of the car, the PO says it has been off
the road for at least 15 years, and it is in pieces now. Being an early
square body, I hadn't realized how much different it actually is from the
MG. It is always challenging putting together something someone else took
apart. Some of my main priorities are:

    paint- car was originally baby blue, which I may return it to
    wiring - a mess, a recent thread on British Wire will help a lot here
    seats- none came with the car, looking for a set of original piped seats
    dashboard- have the original vinyl covered metal, I am making a wood
replacement
    body- I would really like a Bugeye bonnet, anyone have a spare lying
around?
    brakes- dual master cylinder, front disks
    interior- Franks cut & cover method looks good to me, patterns supplied
by MG

What I would like to arrange with one of you owners of a MKII Sprite would
be to send or e-mail me close up photos  of the details of how everything
goes together , both inside and under the hood of your car. I would gladly
cover any expenses incurred in this process. I have many questions at this
point, and would like to make this a one year project, but we all know it
nevers happens as fast as you hope.

                                                    Many thanks,
                                                    Mike Ellsworth
                                                    71 Midget