Re: Whahappened?

To: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Subject: Re: Whahappened?
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 09:20:26 -0400
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Happened to me on my '78 (when it was running) all the time.  Well,  on harder
stops/slow downs than are usually necessary (almost run a stop sign, dumbass in
front of me decides to make a left turn 9 inches before the turn, etc...) .  I
think it's a fuel thing.  The gas in the float bowl slops to the side, and the
jets pull air.  Next time,  just try to restart it in place.

It never sputters for me.  Just dies, btw.  I would think raising the float
level in the float bowl might do the trick.....  maybe not.  It never happened
frequently enough for me to worry about it too much.

Mike

Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net> wrote:
> Okay here's a puzzler for you all.  As I'm driving in to work this
morning ('77 Midget, 1500, original ZS carb, desmogged, Crane xr-700
ignition on original OPUS distributor, otherwise stock), I slow down for
some traffic, and the engine DIES.

No stumble, no sputter, just dies.  I coast to the side of the road, hit
the flashers, and hop out to investigate.  The coil and Crane amplifier
are cool to the touch, all connections on ignition circuit are secure,
but I give them an extra "push" to make sure.  (Elapsed time from
shutdown to this point, under 60 seconds)

Decide to crank it over to listen for anything unusual, and it STARTS.
Runs fine. (There's a slight hesitation coming off idle, but I know I
need to replace the o-ring in the bottom of the carb damper, so I figure
I'm going low on damper oil.)  Takes me the rest of the way into the
office with no troubles.

Any thoughts on what happened?

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net