Re: Whahappened?

To: ckotting@iwaynet.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Whahappened?
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 10:45:51 EDT
ckotting@iwaynet.net writes:

<< Okay here's a puzzler for you all.  As I'm driving in to work this
 morning ('77 Midget, 1500, original ZS carb, desmogged, Crane xr-700
 ignition on original OPUS distributor, otherwise stock), I slow down for
 some traffic, and the engine DIES.

 No stumble, no sputter, just dies.
(Elapsed time from
 shutdown to this point, under 60 seconds)

 Decide to crank it over to listen for anything unusual, and it STARTS.

 Any thoughts on what happened? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You must have done something to upset your car and it is just letting
you know who is ultimately in control.  This was masterfully engineered
into the car by Lucas and British Leyland.

It is also obvious you have never been married.  (Same principle.)

All seriousness aside, when something like this happens you can spend
a ridiculous amount of time trying to track it down.  See if it happens
again, then work on it.  It could be a loose electrical connection, a piece
of dirt in the carb, or poltergeist.  When you can duplicate the problem,
you have a better chance of tracking it down.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport