Re: The 5 speed works but...

To: "Spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The 5 speed works but...
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 21:12:19 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Dave said:

>I put the engine and 5 speed in this morning and the installation went very
>smoothly.  Thanks to all who contributed many valuable hints, tips and
>encouragement.  I just got back from a 10 minute run (sans bonnet) and
>really like the way the ratios fit the power output of my engine.  The bad
>news is that the 2nd gear synchro is poor, maybe even very poor.  I can
>sleep well tonight knowing that I have a project for next winter! <G>
>However just to be on the safe side, does anybody see any problem driving
>it with a crunchy second gear?

Careful Dave...  My five speed Datsun tranny, from a 1980 200SX was
completely destroyed about 400 miles after it developed the symptoms you
describe.  If its making crunching sounds, you are probably breaking off or
filing down small bits of metal inside the transmission, and they bounce
around in there destroying other things.

The mechanic showed me the damage, since I couldn't believe that my
transmission was a total throw-away, and sure enough, all of the machined
surfaces and corners of the gear teeth had been filed smooth and rounded,
and there was scoring on parts that theoretically didn't touch anything
except the oil.  Crunchiness is defintiely bad.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
'68 Sprite