Re: Removing steering wheel/ turn switch

To: Becky Pheysey <pheysey@enol.com>
Subject: Re: Removing steering wheel/ turn switch
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 17:17:05 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Becky Pheysey wrote:

> I was out driving last evening and as I lifted the little lever to signal a
> right turn something inside the switch shattered and it's a big mess.
>  This is a 78 midget and if
> anyone could give me some advice as to how to get the steering wheel off I
> would appreciate it.

Stephen

The plastic clip probably broke and the spring and ball shot out thus
rendering your signal switch useless.

Remove the plastic surround, be sure to remove the 2 screws way in the
back along with the ones you can see. You may have to lower the steering
column, you will see 4 bolts that go through the footwell, have a helper
hold the bolts from under the bonnet, undo the nuts from under the dash.
Push the column down to remove the plastic surround.
You will see the screws for the turn switch. If you are lucky maybe you
can repair it. I have been lucky once or twice, but more times then not,
you need a new switch. Lucas used to make a repair kit for them but I
don't think any are available anymore.
Good luck

--
Frank Clarici