Re: Insurance =) or =(

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Insurance =) or =(
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 08:43:27 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
My insurance story:

I am insured through my insurance broker with Dominion.  They didn't seem to
want to insure my Sprite at all.  I had to provide all-around photos and get
an appraisal of the cars value before I could get insured.  I insure the car
as a regular ride so that I can drive to work if I choose, or to the grocery
store, etc.  I don't actually know what I pay for a year's coverage, because
I remove the collision, etc from the vehicle during the off-road months.  My
pet peeve is that they will not take into consideration that I have 2
vehicles in a 1 license family and could not possibly be driving 2 at once.
>From distant memory, I believe that I would be paying in the $500s if I
never downgraded the coverage.  Someday, I will have to shop around.  Lant
 classic ) insurance will insure me for $46 per year, but I can't park in a
public place, ( work, shopping mall, etc ) only private driveways.

I confess to having a difficult time with understanding their terminology.
It seems that I would not be paid more than the $4500 apraised value in the
event of a 'write-off'.  ( I can always get another appraisal when I get to
the point that I feel that my car is undervalued. )  I could be paid less if
their appraiser felt ( using the photos as a reference, I guess? ) that I
had changed the vehicle to degrade the value.  ( like dissassembling it
before having it burn in the garage, for example. )

For what it is worth, the appraiser thought that when I was finished
restoring it, the sale value would be around $9000.

Robert Duquette
Ottawa ON Canada
http://www3.sympatico.ca/robertduquette
RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca