Re: My '60 might be a '58! - 1275/1500 debate

To: type79@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: My '60 might be a '58! - 1275/1500 debate
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 22:36:38 -0400
Cc: Brad Fornal <toyman@digitex.net>, Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
type79@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> My buddies and I physically parted out a dozen or more Bugeyes and Mk II
>Sprites
> over the years and I owned a '72 Midget. The '72 Midget had the serial number
> prominently "imbedded" in the right shock tower. I never saw a serial number
>on the
> right shock tower of a Bugeye nor a Mk. II Sprite.
>
> My '63 Sprite does not have a number in the right shock tower. My current Mk.
>II as
> well as all of the Bugeyes I have owned and/or parted out had the body number
> stamped above the right footwell.

Jay

I did a research report on the body numbers for Rick Moses and "SPRITE"
4 or 5 years ago.
I DID find the chassis number on all 3 MKII Sprites I checked. All the
MKIIIs and up to and including RB Midgets.
I looked at twenty something Spridgets. All the Bugeyes had the number
over the right hand footwell (above the brake blanking plate/master cyl)
The MKIIs had the number on th the footwell and shock mount. MKIIs only
had it on the shock mount as did all the later cars.
One other note, the numbers on the MKIIs were very faint like the
numbers on the footwells, later cars had a more pronounced stamping,
again most are filled in with paint.
Yes I saw the shock mount stampings on a very early Midget, chassis #
GAN 9?? so that was a 61 square bodied car and number 400 or so. Also
saw it on chassis HAN6L/1200 I never bothered to look on the 61
Singapore exported car I acquired last summer.
Car HAN6/1200 is quietly rusting in piece, I will check it out next week
when I am out there. I know I scraped the paint off the shock mount and
saw it.

Now back to 1275 vs 1500....
Have any of you 1500 drivers ever driven a 1275?
If not, quitchurbitchen!
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ