Re: Bleeding Midget 1500 clutch

To: macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu, mts3@ra.msstate.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bleeding Midget 1500 clutch
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:27:57 EDT
In a message dated 6/13/00 11:26:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu writes:

<< Tyson,
 I just put a new master and slave in the 78 Midget. SO starting from bone
 dry here's what I did.

 Open the slave bleeder. put finger over tip. let assistant pump like
 crazy for a few minutes. Then do the "down" "up" thing. Holding finger
 over bleeder on "up" stroke. Only took about 10 minuts and 3 -4 refills
 of the MC to get it right. Arm is soaked in brake fluid, (DOT 4 DOT 5
 Scmot 6). Now have a good clutch feel and everything ;)

 Larry >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Larry is correct.  This will give you the proper fill without air.  BE
CAREFUL NOT to let the reservoir run dry.  Keep it filled as you pump the
pedal.  If the level goes below the intake hole, you have to start all over
again.  (BTDT!)

Other options are to use an EZBleed device, or to let the fluid gravity feed
over a few hours with the reservoir kept full and the bleed screw on the
slave cylinder just cracked open a bit, but I like Larry's proactive method.

There's probably a load on posts available in the archives on bleeding a
clutch, but I'm not suggesting you actually consult the archives, because I
got in trouble for saying that once.  :-(

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport