Installing engine separately - the verdict

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Installing engine separately - the verdict
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:28:03 -0700
I installed the engine last night with the 5-speed already in the car,
bolted in loosely.

The verdict: about the same PITA as installing them together.
It was very tight, just barely managed to get the engine back far enough to
have the pulley drop down behind the crossmember, then with a little
wiggling, they lined up.
To anyone who wants to do this, put in the upper two tranny bolts before
installing the engine.  I almost had to pull them back out to get the bolts
into the holes because the heater plenum is in the way.
BTW, I don't think I could have installed it this way without a dented
heater plenum.

Next time I think I'll install them together again.
But I might leave the pulley off, that looks like it might be more
beneficial.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

http://www.mirafiori.com/~ulix/               '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9